Peeps in Marshmallow Nests
You can easily make Peeps in marshmallow nests gluten-free and dairy free, if you have kids with allergies. Just substitute a dairy-free margarine for the butter, and make sure you choose the gluten-free Rice Krispies. Peeps, Jelly Belly brand jelly beans, and M&Ms are usually gluten free. For more information about holiday treats for children with dietary restrictions, see our tips for gluten-free Pascha treats.
1/4 c butter
4 c miniature marshmallows
Green food coloring (optional)
5 c Rice Krispies
Green decorating sugar (optional)
Jelly beans or M&Ms
- Grease two muffin pans, or spray them with Pam. (If you use silicone muffin pans, you don’t need to grease them.)
- In a large pan, melt the butter slowly over low heat. Add the marshmallows and stir constantly until they’re completely melted. Don’t try to hurry this part. Take your time.
- Optional: When the marshmallow and butter mixture is completely smooth, stir in green food coloring. Mix well.
- Remove the pan from the heat and stir in the cereal.
- Scoop the warm cereal mixture into the muffin pans. Push the cereal firmly against the bottom and sides of the cups, forming a nest shape. This is easiest to do if you put on some food-handlers gloves and use your hands. The back of a buttered spoon works, too.
- Optional: Sprinkle each nest with green sugar. to give it a little bit of sparkle.
- Let the nests cool completely, then remove them from the tins.
- Add a few jelly beans or M&Ms to each nest, and place a Peep on top.
Makes 24. Peeps in marshmallow nests are adorable, delicious, and fun!